Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Review: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick


Title: Crescendo

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick

Series: Hush, Hush, #2


 •Source: Purchased
 •Publisher: Simon & Schuster BFYR
 •Publication Date: October 19, 2010

Opening Line: The fingers of the thorn-apple tree clawed at the windowpane behind Harrison Grey, and he dog-eared his page, no longer able to read through the racket.

Excerpt Goodreads Shelfari LibraryThing
Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it. A mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever (if that's possible) and what's worse, he seems to be spending time with Nora's archenemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadn't been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude, Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feelings that he is hiding something.

If that weren't enough, Nora is haunted by images of her murdered father, and comes to question whether her Nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death. Desperate to figure out what happened, she puts herself in increasingly dangerous situations to get the answer. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.


3 Moons
Angel



Crescendo takes place roughly two months after Hush, Hush. The prologue is a flashback to the night Nora's father was murdered, a huge hint towards the storyline of Crescendo. Nora's personal life is becoming a complicated mess. More importantly, Nora's life is once again in danger. As if matters were not difficult enough Nora is being haunted by images of her father. She keeps seeing him in the most random locations. Nora also receives a mysterious envelope pointing her in the direction of her father's murderer. Nora vows to find out what happened the night her father died.

The Hush, Hush series is becoming the bane of my existence, well at least as far as reviews go. I find myself loving some parts of Crescendo and absolutely hating others parts. *sigh* Again the characters personality's are not consistent. Nora has switched from a sweet naive girl to an obsessive, neurotic stalker. It's never a good sign when Vee seems sane by comparison. The part of Crescendo that I abhorred was how unbelievably cruel the characters were to each other. The hateful remarks were completely overdone and need to be significantly toned done.

I'm still completely in love with the paranormal aspect of this series. I still think is an amazing concept and I'm glad it was stretched out over the entire book this time. The love and hate aspects of this book cancel each other out, leaving you with simply a good book. If Fitzpatrick had managed to get her characters under control and stop writing everything to its most extreme, Crescendo could have been an amazing book.


Favorite Quotes

"Last time I paid, she chased me down and shoved the money in my pocket. I'm trying to avoid another groping."
"If I have to stay the whole night, shoot me now."
I spread my hands. "No gun. Sorry."
"What is it? Motor oil?"
"My secret recipe. If I told you, I'd have to kill you."
"No need. I'm pretty sure taking a drink would get the same result."
"I'm happier right now than I ever remember being."



Still Want To Sink Your Teeth In

Barnes & Noble iBookstore Book Depository Amazon



0 comments:

Post a Comment