Friday, October 14, 2016

Brain Surgery




Last year I found out I have two different types of brain tumors. No cancer, Thank God! A  pituitary tumor and a meningioma. In August I had another MRI of my brain done. Thanks to medication the pituitary tumor has shrunk. YEAH!!! Unfortunately the meningioma has grown one centimeter in size (pictured above.) 

On October 17, 2016 I will be having brain surgery to remove the meningioma. Lucky for me I live near Vanderbilt University Medical Center and the surgery should be fairly simple, well.... as simple as brain surgery can be. Hopefully the regular hospital rooms are full and I will get to stay in the neurosurgery ICU for my whole hospital stay 2 - 7 days. (Rooms are bigger, better brain care) If not, then I will be in the neurosurgery ICU at least 24 hours and then moved to a regular room. My entire recovery time will be around 6 weeks. The first week or two I cannot be left alone at all. My tumor is near the part of the brain that controls balance, so falling down is potentially problematic.

I would have to say, my favorite part of this whole experience so far was the look on my neurosurgeon face when she realized that I have 2 different types of tumors. Priceless! Why? Multiple tumors of the same type = common. Different types of tumors = extremely rare.

What does this mean for the blog?


No big changes. While I have been uninspired of late, dealing with all my other medical problems, I still plan to keep the blog. It'll just be on vacation for a couple of months while I recover. Hopefully there will be some updates and/or new features. Maybe I'll be able to focus better and the inspiration will come pouring back.

How am I doing?


I'm not nearly as scared about the surgery as I should be. The most upsetting part for me so far is that I am not aloud to cut my hair before surgery! I was thinking about doing something like this:


Half shaved or at least something with an undercut. There's more pictures on my brain board (on Pinterest, something else I need to organize) if you want to check them out. Feel free to leave comments on which are your favorites. I'm now planning on getting my haircut after my scar has healed.

It's a little ridiculous, but my biggest fear is not the surgery itself. It's waking up and having a total Rick moment. (The Walking Dead)



That being said, if the apocalypse happens I better wake up to this gorgeous face.

Of course I am not completely ridiculous. If the apocalypse happens and Norman Reedus is unable to magically transform himself into Daryl, then he is completely welcome to join me (as Norman) and we'll cry together.

Hell, even if the apocalypse doesn't happen; Norman you are completely welcome to come visit me in the hospital. I could always use someone to hold my hand and I'm sure that smile could make anyone feel better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment